The Chapel of Santa Maria del Carmine (Saint Mary of Mount Carmel), also known as the “Church of Carmel” is located in Contrada Piano d’Orto in Luogosano.
Although certain elements of the walls date from Roman times, it was actually built in the 18th century: 1792 to be precise. The date of construction can be seen in the centre of the stone portal on the plain, unadorned façade.
The only decorative element on the outside of the building is a stone plaque to the right of the doorway, which tells that the chapel was restored thanks to the Sullo Law of 1962 and to Tommaso Sarno, a doctor and mayor of Luogosano who was remembered by his community for his admirable work for the local community, the poor and the infirm. Inside, the 18th-century Chapel of Carmel still contains paintings, from the same period, taken from other churches that had fallen into disrepair. The Chapel also houses wooden statues of saints, sacred vestments from the 19th century, and Roman materials embedded into the walls.
A symbol of devotion and solidarity, the Chapel of Santa Maria del Carmine stands in a beautiful natural landscape, with an impressive view of the town and the surrounding Calore valley.
Cappella S. Maria del Carmine di Luogosano
Contrada Piano d'Orto, 83040 Luogosano AV, Italia