The Municipality of Luogosano is located in the area of the Calore Valley. It's a town with 1,164 inhabitants, located 390 metres above sea level, at 29 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 6.07 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Fontanarosa, Lapio, Paternopoli, San Mango sul Calore, Sant'Angelo all'Esca and Taurasi.
The etymology of the name seems to come from the need to give a more pleasant image to the place, hence "Locosano", although the town is also known by the names of "Lucusano", "Locossano" and "Lo Cessano", which later became "Luogosano". The inhabitants are called Luogosanesi and Saint Marcellinus is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Church of Santa Maria Maggiore e San Marcellino (Saint Mary Major and Saint Marcellinus) - Religious building of very ancient origin, as evidenced by the bell tower in the centre of the façade and the Roman epigraphs
- Chapel of Santa Maria del Carmine (Saint Mary of Mount Carmel) - 18th-century church that preserves precious canvases, statues of saints and sacred furnishings from the 19th century, as well as materials from the Roman era, incorporated into the walls
- Church of Santa Maria della Pietà (Saint Mary of Mercy) - Place of worship located in the upper part of Luogosano
- Venuti Palace - Among the oldest stately buildings in the town, it's still visible, as it remained intact from the various earthquakes that occurred in the territory
- Renaissance tower - Owned by the Iannaco family, it is a tower dating back to the feudal period of the town, built with the function of storing the grain harvest
- Fuochi Allavorati - Event held on the 7th of December, on the eve of the celebrations for the Immaculate Conception, during which several bonfires are lit in the streets of the town
- Living Via Crucis - Tradition that has been repeated for several years and that stages, on three dates, the last earthly days of Christ
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Taurasi DOCG - Wine of great tradition, made thanks to a very ancient grape variety: well structured, elegant and austere but, at the same time, balanced and tannic; suitable for a very long ageing, also thanks to its structure, minerality, good alcohol content and fullness
- Irpinia Colline dell'Ufita PDO - Extra virgin olive oil deriving largely from the Ravece variety, characterized by a pleasant bitter and spicy taste
Among the Irpinian towns, Luogosano is the one with the most land cultivated by the Zuegg company, which has chosen this area for the cultivation of various fruit trees, for the production of jams and fruit juices.
The territory of Luogosano has been inhabited since Roman times: this is testified by the discovery of tombstones and other ancient objects, dating back at least to the early years of Christianity.
Already mentioned in some documents of the 5th century AD, it was occupied by the Lombards, who built the Monastery of Santa Maria di Locosano, which had its moment of greatest splendour between 682 and 1012. Over the centuries, it was owned by several families: Fontanarosa, Filangieri, Caracciolo, Ludovisi and Orimini. The last lords of Luogosano were the Pedicini, from 1733 until the subversion of feudalism, which took place in 1806.
Luogosano, like every corner of this province, has some surprises. The wine scene is so wide that it makes your head spin, and the delicious native grapes definitely deserve to be tasted
Via Francesco De Sanctis, 28, 83040 Luogosano AV, Italia