The Church of Maria Santissima Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) in Solofra, with the adjoining Conservatory of the same name, is a complex of high religious interest and is located in the Volpi district, near the right bank of the Solofrana stream.
Dating back to the 19th century, the Church is the result of the reconstruction of a previous religious building. Damaged by the earthquake of 23 November 1980, it was reopened for worship in 2008. In the meantime, in 1758, the Church had already been incorporated into the monastery commissioned by Canon Nicola Petrone: governed by the Mantelliane order, its patron was Saint Philip of Brenizio, general of the Order of the Servants of Mary.
Today the Church has an imposing façade, enlivened by various openings and cornices and divided by an entablature. In the upper part, there is a central large arched and framed window set between two pilasters with composite capitals and overlying dentils. The side walls are characterised by a series of windows, the central one being very large and semicircular, while those near the roof are all rectangular.
The Conservatory, on the other hand, is distinguished by its rectangular shape with one entrance, with a round arch set between pilasters ending in composite capitals and leading to the courtyard in front.
Over the years, the religious complex has managed to resist the threats of time and natural disasters, contributing to the enrichment of the historical and cultural heritage of the Irpinian town.
Chiesa e Conservatorio Maria SS. Addolorata
Via Regina Margherita, 64, 83029, Solofra AV, Italia