The Municipality of Forino is located within the area of the Irno Valley. It's a town with 5,357 inhabitants, located 420 metres above sea level, at 12 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 20.39 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Bracigliano, Contrada, Monteforte Irpino, Montoro, Moschiano and Quindici.
The etymology of the name probably derives from the Latin forum, which means “square”, “market”, in reference to the location of the primitive settlement. The inhabitants are called Forinesi and Saint Nicholas of Bari is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Caracciolo Palace - Of the ancient plant only the main front remains intact, with two of the four doors that enclosed the centre of Forino and the park: it is in the 16th century that the stately building began to take on its current appearance
- Marconi Palace - Historic palace of Forino located in Piazza Tigli
- Parise Palace - Castelletto Parise - In the hamlet of Celzi there are the ruins of the ancient castle of the Parise family, built in 1753 with a rectangular plan
- Borgo Castello - Small medieval town now inhabited by a few families but rich in history, where there are the ruins of the Castle and the Civic Tower
- Church of SS. Annunziata (Most Holy Annunciation) - Religious building characterised by a peculiar majolica flooring and an artistic carved wooden choir, dating back to the 18th century
- Church of San Nicola (Saint Nicholas) - Located on a hill, it is a place of worship dedicated to Saint Nicholas, whose image was affixed to a tree: over time, the Church has become a place of pilgrimage for the population of Forina
- Other Palaces - Jacuzio Palace, Picella Palace
- Other Churches - Church of S. Stefano Protomartire (Saint Stephen Protomartyr), Church of S. Stefano - Church of S. Felicissimo (Early Christian Basilica with catacombs), Church of Martignano, Church of S. Maria de Castro Forini, Chapels of S. Giovanni de Celsis (Saint John de Celsis), S. Giacomo and S. Sebastiano (Saint James and Saint Sebastian), Church of the Spirito Santo (Holy Spirit), Church of S. Maria della Misericordia (Our Lady of Mercy), Church of S. Biagio (Saint Blaise)
- Saint Michael’s Cave - Mountain path that reaches the cave on the Faliesi Mountains, from which a beautiful panorama can be admired
- Hiking - Mountain path “Collina di San Nicola”, Mountain path - Mount Faliesi “Sentiero dell’Angiolo”
- Sera passaie a Forino - Renowned food and wine event and music festival that takes place in July
- Forino Folk Festival - Summer festival with a wealth of performances by international folk groups and popular musical groups
- Forinese Carnival - Celebrations that take place starting from the days before Shrove Tuesday, with the typical dance “O Ndreccio” (the braid)
- Feast of Saint Nicholas - Celebrations in honour of the patron saint, with the historic procession and fireworks
- Feast of Saint Anne and Saint Joachim - Religious celebrations, accompanied by musical performances, which take place on 25, 26 and 27 July
- Feast of Saint Felicissimo and Saint Michael - Celebrations in honour of Saints Felicissimo and Michael with procession and recreational initiatives
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Marrone di Santa Cristina PAT - Particular variety of chestnut, produced in the territories of Forino and Moschiano and characterised by a compact and crunchy consistency
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines of Italy and the international market
- Hazelnut - The Mortarella hazelnut, with its strong historical, cultural and socio-economic link with the geographical area of origin, represents a gastronomic excellence of the Forinese territory
- Cherry - Typical local product of great value
- Caciocavallo Silano PDO - Semi-hard cheese, with spun curd, produced with milk from different breeds of cows, including Podolica
The cult of Saint Nicholas coexisted and still coexists with the cult of Saint Michael the Archangel, the protector of the Lombard people. These, in memory of the incredible victory, “... ad locum cui Forinus nomen est...” they climbed Mount Faliesi and there they dug a cave in the rock, like the many others that disseminate the territories they conquered in those times, called Saint Michael’s Cave.
The origins of Forino can be traced back to pre-Roman times, following the discovery of some remains throughout the current municipal territory.
An integral part of the Roman colony known by the name Venera Livia Abellinatum, the Irpinian town was also affected by the crossing of various invading peoples, including the Byzantines and the Lombards, who here imported their respective cults, namely those of Saint Nicholas and Saint Michael the Archangel.
Forino later became a fief owned by several families: the Francisio, Hobemburg, Monfort, Orsini, Cicinello and Cecere families. The last feudal Lords were the Caracciolo family, who administered the town from 1604 to 1806, the year of abolition of feudalism.
Forino is animated by an ancient castle and the civic tower with excellent local gastronomy: a perennial source of surprises, with different types of activities suitable for everyone
Piazza Municipio, 1, 83020 Forino AV, Italia