The Municipality of Contrada is located within the area just outside the Irno Valley. It's a town with 3,061 inhabitants, located 420 metres above sea level, at 10 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 10.31 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Aiello del Sabato, Avellino, Forino, Monteforte Irpino, Montoro and Solofra.
The etymology of the name seems to have derived from the late Latin regis contrata, that is, “street of inhabited place”, which is characterised by its location along the Via dei Due Principati, the ancient road connecting Benevento and Salerno. The inhabitants are called Contradesi and Saint Michael the Archangel is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Church of San Giovanni Battista (Saint John the Baptist) - Located in the heart of the oldest part of the town, dates back to the 15th century, but was built on the ruins of an older church
- Villa-De Mansis Palace - Dating back to the second half of the 17th century, it is enriched by a park lying behind it with an Italian garden and a splendid portal, although currently in a state of neglect because it is a cliff
- Church of Sant’Antonio (Saint Anthony) - Church that dates back to 1756 and is located on a square in the town
- Church of San Giovanni Battista (Saint John the Baptist) - It is located in the oldest part of Contrada and the original structure dates back to the 15th century
- Church of the Madonna del Carmine (Our Lady of Mount Carmel) - It dates back to the 17th century and, previously, was annexed to a Convent of the Carmelite Friars: in the 18th century, it was adapted to the Baroque style
- Church of the Madonna of Monserrato - Annexed to Villa De Mansis, it has essential lines and a double flight of stairs for access
- Other - Tranfaglia Palace, Guarini Palace, Palace Convent of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart
- Paths - Monti Faliesi Path, San Nicola Path, Grotte Faliesi
- ‘A Risacca sotto ‘o Piesco - Folkloric and food and wine event characterised by folk songs, dances and good food, held in August
- Circus in Borgo - Artistic and musical event, held in July in the Borgo Ospedale district
- Tastes of Autumn - Food and wine event dedicated to wild boar and chestnut, takes place in October
- Procession to Mount Faliesi - Traditional pilgrimage in honour of Saint Michael the Archangel, which takes place on 8 May with the ascent of the faithful to Mount Faliesi
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines of Italy and the international market
- Serino Chestnut PGI - Among the best varieties of chestnuts in Italy, as well as the most exported to international markets
- Hazelnut - Typical product of the territory, with the production of Mortarella with elongated fruit
Contrada and Hospitale (today’s Borgo Ospedale) were two hamlets of Forino from 1400 until 1848, when they detached themselves to form a new autonomous municipality.
Near the inhabited nucleus of Contrada, traces of the so-called Claudio Aqueduct have been found. In the first document in which the town is mentioned, the place is mentioned as “Contrada di Bagnoli”, a small farmhouse located in medieval times a few kilometres from the centre and uninhabited since the 14th century. In the same act of donation, drawn up at the Church of Santa Maria di Materdomini (Holy Mother of God), there is also talk of the then feudal lord of Contrada, Giacomo Francisio, Lord of Monteforte and Forino.
Since it depended on the Lord of Forino, the farmhouse passed already from the 14th century in the fief of Forino itself. In 1628, it was in the possession of Guido De Montfort, from whom Romanello Orsino inherited it by marriage and in 1485 it belonged to the king’s advisor, Giulio Orsini. Frederick of Aragon gave Forino to the Neapolitan Giovanni Cicinello, and, therefore, the farmhouse of Contrada, which later passed to Porzia Villani and Marco Cecere. From 1552, although feudally it continued to depend on the Lords of Forino, the farmhouse became a “university”. In 1604, the holdings of Contrada were acquired by Camillo Caracciolo.
The small village remained in the possession of the Caracciolo family until the abolition of feudal rights with the princes Marino II (1617), Francesco Marino I (1631), Marino III (1674), Francesco Marino III (1720), Marino IV (1727), Giovanni (1784) and Marino V Caracciolo (1800).
Contrada is the right place to enjoy the pleasure of small things, in winter you can smell the scent of lit fireplaces in the air, while in summer the wind brings you the breeze of nature and the scents of the kitchens. Seasons to live to regain possession of your time
Via Luigi Bruno, 79, 83020 Contrada AV, Italia