The Church of San Bartolomeo (Saint Bartholomew) in Greci is a place of worship located in Via Alessandro Manzoni, in the historic centre of the Irpinian village.
The origins of the Mother Church date back to the 18th century and it was consecrated by Cardinal Orsini, later elected Pope Benedict XIII, who had it rebuilt on a different site from the original one, after the earthquake that destroyed the old religious building towards the end of the 17th century.
Today, the Church has a Latin cross plan and a simple but imposing façade in Romanesque style, on which the bell tower, built later, rests. Inside the structure, consisting of a single nave with a barrel vault is the main altar in marble, of which the artistic altarpiece attributable to Guido Reni (1575-1642) is preserved in the liturgical room. The ancient crucifix at the entrance to the Church dates back to the 18th century. Numerous niches in the side walls house the statues of the saints; among these is the statue of the Madonna del Caroseno, dating back to around the 19th century and made in Irpinia, as well as the wooden statue of Saint Bartholomew, made of oak and bearing the signs of the martyrdom of the town's patron saint, whose Sacred Drama of Saint Bartholomew is performed in August.
Located on the highest point of the village, the Church of San Bartolomeo is just one of Greci's architectural masterpieces.
Chiesa di San Bartolomeo di Greci
Via Alessandro Manzoni, 83030 Greci AV, Italia