Port'Alba gate, also known as "Porta Jacovella" or "Urbica", is a historic monument located in Via Roma, Trevico.
Built in 1578 and facing eastwards, Port’Alba together with Porta del Ricetto and Porta dei Calderai (of which no trace remains) was one of the three gateways to the village. It was built by the Loffredo family who owned the State of Trevico until feudalism was abolished in 1806.
Even today, Port’Alba still has its two lava rock pillars, which support a rounded arch formed of two square stone blocks surmounted by a small loggia that once housed a statue of the goddess Trivia, the divine protector of the community that also gave the town its name. The upper part of the gateway is embellished with several coats-of-arms, including that of the Loffredo family.
Port’Alba is the symbol of Trevico, and is tied to several traditions. For years, brides on their wedding day have passed beneath the monument wearing their white dresses to bring good fortune; at funerals the coffin passes below the arch for the last time, releasing the soul from earthly sin.
Via Roma, 83058 Trevico AV, Italia