The Church of Santa Maria Assunta (Saint Mary of the Assumption), also known as the "Cathedral" or "Church Madonna della Libera" in Trevico is located on Piazza Nicola Ferrara.

It was probably built on a pre-existing pagan temple dedicated to the goddess Trivia, from which the town may derive its name. Built between 455 and 534, it was the Cathedral of the Diocese of Trevico from 1058 to 1818, when it was suppressed: this is why it is known by this name even today. The original complex has been expanded and, on several occasions, rebuilt and modified following the numerous seismic events that occurred over recent centuries: in particular, the earthquake of 23 November, 1980, caused the collapse of the roof, already previously damaged and restored following the extensive damage that occurred between the 17th and 18th centuries. After years of consolidation and restoration work, the sacred place reopened for worship on 8 August, 1998.

Today, the Church of Santa Maria Assunta stands out for its fine stone façade with the distinctive beautiful doorway and striking 18th-century bell tower, bearing the civic clock. In 1058, the original Greek cross plan was transformed into a long central nave, at the end of which the presbytery houses the high altar in precious marble, surmounted by the painting of Saint Mary of the Assumption, a wooden choir dating back to the 18th century, and the bishop's throne. Six other coloured stone altars are positioned along the sides of the nave, where, on the right, there are several chapels: among others, the Chapel of the Santissimo Rosario (Holy Rosary), with the stone baptistery from 1618, bearing the bishop's coat of arms and supported by a column on which is placed the statue of Saint John the Baptist. The venerated relics of Saint Euplius, patron saint of Trevico, as well as those of Saint Rosalia and Saint Felix the Martyr, are also preserved inside the former cathedral. The last earthquake of 1980 finally brought to light the crypt, located beneath the religious building: beautifully frescoed, it houses a wooden statue of Our Lady of the Assumption, a limestone statue of Saint Paul the Apostle, and a golden marble niche from the 15th century.

Along with the architecture and artistic heritage of the entire complex, this small treasure, returned surprisingly to the community of Trevico, has contributed to enriching the historic centre of the highest village in Irpinia.

Comune di riferimento
Piazza Nicola Ferrara, 20, 83058 Trevico AV, Italia
Go to the map view on the map

Open during the hours of religious services

Numero di telefono
0827 96014
Poligono GEO

Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta di Trevico

Piazza Nicola Ferrara, 20, 83058 Trevico AV, Italia

Did you like it? Leave a review

Your opinion is important! It will be visible after approval by the editorial staff.

To post a comment you must be an authenticated user. Log in with Social Login

Logo Sistema Irpinia
Logo Provincia Avellino

Project financed and implemented with funds from the Province of Avellino


Indirizzo sede legale
Ufficio Infopoint
Piazza Libertá 1 (Palazzo Caracciolo), 83100 – Avellino
C.F. 80000190647

Follow us

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube Telegram