The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Holy Mary of Graces) in Guardia Lombardi is a place of worship located in Piazza Francesco De Sanctis.
Erected in 1315, the date of its first construction can be deduced from an inscription in the centre of the pink travertine pillar to the left of the main altar. The Mother Church was almost completely destroyed in the earthquake of 5 December 1456: only the four pinkish stone pillars remained standing. It was rebuilt in 1565, with a majestic façade accompanied by a monumental bell tower. 1609 also saw the replacement of the paving on the small square in front of the Church, as can be seen on the stone plaque in the centre of the façade.
From that year onwards, the Church was destroyed or seriously damaged by numerous other earthquakes: after the one in 1732, it was rebuilt from the foundations and has always been repaired, even after the earthquakes of 1930 and 1980. After the last earthquake, the Church was reopened for worship and consecrated on 2 July 1999, the day dedicated to Our Lady of Graces.
A symbol of faith and rebirth, the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie represents the strength and spirit of a community, like that of Guardia, which has never given up when faced with natural disasters over the centuries.
Chiesa di S. Maria delle Grazie di Guardia Lombardi
Piazza Francesco De Sanctis, 83040 Guardia Lombardi AV, Italia