The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore e San Marcellino (Saint Mary Major and Saint Marcellino) is a place of worship that stands in Piazza Giovanni XXIII, Luogosano.
The year of construction is not known for certain, although certain elements such as the bell tower and Roman epigraphs hint at ancient origins. The Monastery of Santa Maria de Loco Sano, which is the name of this parish church, is reminiscent of its Lombard monastery, one of the first to be built by the Lombards in the early 8th century after their conversion to Christianity.
The façade has now been completely restored. An unusual feature is the openwork bell tower, which stands proudly in the centre of the façade above the entrance door. Inside, the pilasters and walls contain Roman funerary markers and stones indicating the early Christian origin of the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore e San Marcellino. One of the most striking decorative elements is the high altar dating from 1739. It was donated by the archpriest Jacopo Antonio Venuti, who also commissioned the balustrade and multi-linear staircase made from Fontanarosa stone. Another noteworthy feature is the stone baptismal font, dating from 1586.
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore e San Marcellino, which dominates Luogosano’s main square, is extremely important for the local community not only from a religious standpoint but also historically.
Chiesa di S. Maria Maggiore e S. Marcellino
Piazza Giovanni XXIII, 83040 Luogosano AV, Italia