The Municipality of Roccabascerana is located between the Caudina Valley and the Sabato Valley. It is a town of 2,352 inhabitants, located 430 metres above sea level and 20 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 12.46 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Apollosa, Arpaise, Ceppaloni, Montesarchio, Pannarano, Pietrastornina and San Martino Valle Caudina.
The etymology of the name possibly derives from the term gwass which means “vassal”, from which “Quascierana” comes, a name attributed to it at the time of the Lombards, later transformed into “Rocca de Guasserana”, up to today’s toponym. The inhabitants are called Rocchesi and Saint George and Saint Leonard are their patron saints.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Baronial Palace - Also called “Prince’s Palace”, it had its period of greatest splendour in the 17th century; it was used by the feudal lords both as a residence and as a seat for the stipulation of official deeds
- Church of Santi Giorgio e Leonardo (Saints George and Leonard) - Important religious building of the municipality, it was rebuilt following the earthquake of 1688 and consecrated by Cardinal Orsini in 1694; the current structure, with a neo-Gothic façade, dates back to the early 20th century
- Medieval Tower - Built during the Norman period, it is now in a state of ruin and houses, on its spire, the bell tower of the original parish church
- Churches - Church of the Madonna di Lourdes (Our Lady of Lourdes), Church of Maria SS del Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) (with frescoes from the 1600s and 1700s), Church of S. Andrea (Saint Andrew), Church of Santa Maria del Carmine (Saint Mary of Mount Carmel), Church of S. Nicola Vescovo (Saint Nicholas the Bishop), Church of Santo Stefano e Maria Santissima del Carmelo (Saint Stephen and Our Lady of Mount Carmel)
- Laganelle and Chickpea Festival - Summer food and wine event with live music, Aglianico wine and “Laganelle”, fresh handmade pasta, seasoned with chickpeas
- Carnival of Roccabascerana - Rite with annual frequency, characterised by masks, dances and frivolousness
- Meatball and Cucchiulelle Festival - Food and wine event that takes place in August and is characterised by food and wine stands of typical local products, Aglianico wine and music
- Quascirana between Art, History and Flavour - Event that takes place in September and aims to bring the ancient village back to life, through historical reconstructions, artistic and food and wine tours
- Other Food Festivals - Mugliatielle and Pecurielle Festival (hamlet of Tuoro), Matasse and Beans Festival (hamlet of Cassano Caudino), Pasta al Forno Festival (hamlet of Tufara Valle)
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Laganelle and Chickpeas - Typical dish of the Rocchese tradition, it is a pasta similar to pappardelle prepared by hand, with a dough of durum wheat flour, with sautéed aromas and boiled chickpeas
- Formaggio ‘mbriaco - Semi-aged cheese, slightly acidic, tasty and well-made
In Roccabascerana, over the years, several festivals have developed, in substantial numbers, in order to promote typical local products.
At the time of the Swabians, Roccabascerana was owned by the Norman Giovanni Moscabruno, of the Quarrel-Drengot lineage, captain of King Manfredi. After the defeat of Manfredi at Benevento and Corradino at Tagliacozzo, which occurred with the advent of Charles I of Anjou, the territory of Roccabascerana was donated to a French aristocrat, Roger of Burson, in 1269, and two years later to his son, Richard of Burson.
The fief of Roccabascerana belonged to several and numerous families, such as: the Della Marra family (under the reign of Queen Giovanna and until 1464, under King Ferrante I of Aragon); and the Sperone, Spinelli and D’Aquino families (who were succeeded in 1669 by Carlo Capocelatro, son of Beatrice d’Aquino); the Della Leonessa family, in particular to Fabio Della Leonessa, to whom it was sold in 1712. The latter was succeeded by his son, Giuseppe Maria, Lord of Roccabascerana.
Among the historical events of this territory, we mention the very serious plague of 1656 that devastated the population, drastically reducing it in number.
Triumph of the most authentic flavours, ideal place to immerse oneself in nature, in summer and winter Roccabascerana offers unique and intimate suggestions
view on the map
Piazza Michele Imbriani, 83016 Roccabascerana AV, Italia
Via Imbriani, 30, 83016 Roccabascerana AV, Italia
As a religious symbol for the local community, the Church of Saint George and Saint Leonard of…
Via Castello, 83016 Roccabascerana AV, Italia
Located in a position overlooking the ancient village, the Baronial Palace in Roccabascerana…
Via Castello, 83016 Roccabascerana AV, Italia
A strong and meaningful testament to the medieval era in the ancient village, the Medieval…
Did you like it? Leave a review
Your opinion is important! It will be visible after approval by the editorial staff.
To post a comment you must be an authenticated user. Log in with Social Login