Built in the 17th century by the will of the then feudal lady Beatrice Della Marra, it has undergone numerous changes over the centuries, affecting both its architectural structure and its name. As can be seen from the portal, it was rebuilt by the will and work of the faithful in 1754, after the devastating earthquake that in 1694 caused considerable damage to the town, and took the name "Church of the Purgatory". It later became the Church of San Vito, as it was the custodian of the statue of the Saint to whom the celebrations of 15 June were dedicated. In 1890, it was recognised as the "Congregation of Charity".
Over the years, the structure was subject to a series of deteriorations. The heartfelt devotion of the faithful of Guardia, including those who had emigrated to America, and the strong will of the institutions to return the sacred place to the community, to be admired in its healthy splendour, led to a massive restoration of the complex and its rooms. The Church was reopened for worship on 23 November 1980, the date of the devastating earthquake that struck Irpinia, causing extensive damage. The coincidence of events in Guardia Lombardi proved prodigious: there were no victims, as the entire community was gathered in the square and in the new church, which withstood the strong tremor because it was fortified by the recent restoration.
After this extraordinary event, the Church of San Vito is also known as the "Church of the Miracle" and is one of the religious symbols of the Guardia community.
Chiesa di San Vito di Guardia Lombardi
Piazza Vittoria, 83040 Guardia Lombardi AV, Italia