The Municipality of Grottolella is located within the area of the Partenio Park. It's a town with 1,882 inhabitants, located 565 metres above sea level, at 11 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 7.13 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Altavilla Irpina, Avellino, Capriglia Irpina, Montefredane, Prata di Principato Ultra and Sant’Angelo a Scala.
The etymology of the name comes from the Latin crypt, which means “cave” or “underground place”, and the toponym is reported in medieval sources. The inhabitants are called Grottolellesi and Saint Giles is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Macedonio Castle - Medieval structure built on top of a hill: Lombard castle that originally was built for defensive purposes and that, over the centuries, has undergone other changes
- Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Holy Mary of Graces) - Known as the Church of Sant’Egidio Abate (Saint Giles the Abbot), it dates back to the 18th century and is located in the central area
- Chapel of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli (Our Lady of Constantinople) - It was a church of modest size, demolished in the 1950s, the original remains of the apse and sacristy are visible
- Maglio Palace - It is a building built in the 19th century with a beautiful façade and with paving in paving stones of breccia Irpina present both in the entrance hall and in the courtyard
- Pozzo del Sale (Salt Pit) - These are mineral springs, known as early as the 12th century with the name of Salsa
- Pasto della Salamandra - International Festival of Music, Art and Theatre held in the first ten days of September
- Pork festival - Food and wine event of typical local products that takes place at the end of June
- Festival of Sciurilli and of Forgotten Tastes - Food and wine event of typical local products that takes place in July
- Living Via Crucis - Religious event taking place on Good Friday
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- White apple of Grottolella PAT - Fruit with white pulp, compact, very sweet, aromatic and preservable
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines of Italy and the international market
- Laene e Fasuli - Dish of Irpinia consisting of fresh handmade pasta tagliatelle and beans
In the central area of the town there are installed the works of the master Giovanni Spiniello, an artist originally from Grottolella, who has created an Open Air Museum in the heart of the historic centre.
Populated since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the remains of a settlement, and located along an ancient communication route between Avellino and Benevento, Grottolella is mentioned for the first time in 1083; it is also mentioned in the chronicles of the following century, when Roger II of Hauteville, at war against Rainulf, devastated the surrounding area.
Over the centuries, it has been incorporated among the possessions of several lords, including the Montefusco and Sanseverino families, and after the fall of feudalism, in 1811, it was aggregated for a period to Altavilla Irpina.
The winning combination of genuineness and quality is the basis of local gastronomic productions. Grottolella, with the simplicity of the Renetta Apple, opens to ancient and new flavours that reveal its deepest soul
Piazza Municipio, 1, 83010 Grottolella AV, Italia
Via Francesco De Stefano, 15, 83010 Grottolella AV, Italia
A modestly-sized church with a simple architectural style, facing Piazza Maglio.