The Municipality of Rotondi is located within the area of the Caudina Valley. It's a town with 3,584 inhabitants, located 272 metres above sea level, at 36 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 7.81 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Airola, Avella, Bonea, Cervinara, Montesarchio, Paolisi and Roccarainola.
The etymology of the name comes from the De Rotundis family, owners of the feud and its Castrum Rotundorum for several centuries. The inhabitants are called Rotondesi and Saint Michael the Archangel is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Sanctuary Madonna SS. della Stella (Our Lady of the Star) - Dating back to the 16th century, it is located at the foot of the Partenio, 500 metres high and has an equipped area
- Church of SS. Annunziata (Most Holy Annunciation) - Built in the 18th century, it preserves inside a statue of the Madonna della Stella of the 18th century
- Clock Tower - Built in the 19th century using local stone, it stands out for its white and amaranth-coloured plaster
- Via Varco - Nicknamed “Art Road”, it houses the studios of Umberto Manzo, Eugenio Giliberti, Perino & Vele and the brothers Lucio and Giuseppe Perone, all famous and internationally respected artists
- Chapel of Sant’Antonio Abate (Saint Anthony the Abbot) - Built in the 18th century, it is famous for the distribution of bread on the day of the anniversary of Saint Anthony the Abbot
- Maietta Palace - 18th-century building built by the family of the same name, on whose portal is still affixed the coat of arms of distinct culture of the House
- Gallo Palace - Built in the 18th century
- Path of the Herds and Small Tablelands - It starts from the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella (Our Lady of the Star) and reaches the alpine refuge of Piano di Lauro
- Easter Procession - Religious celebrations that start from the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella to reach the Church of SS. Annunziata
- Historical Procession of the Fusiliers of the Star - Traditional event that accompanies the Easter procession in honour of Our Lady of the Star
- Living Nativity Scene - Re-enactment of the Nativity scene, taking place in the Christmas period
- Ciuccio di Fuoco (Fire Donkey) - Traditional event that takes place on 26 December, on the occasion of the anniversary of Saint Stephen, with fireworks and the lighting of a fake donkey
- Carnival Quadrille and Zeza - Traditional celebrations that take place in the week of Shrove Tuesday
- Cantata dei Pastori (Sheperds' singing)- Music and theatre festival held in the Christmas period
- Pasta and Beans with Mussels Festival - Food and wine event, held in August
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Melannurca Campana PGI - The "Queen of Apples", with its characteristic aroma and very fine scent
- Pasta and beans with mussels - Typical local dish, served on the occasion of the festival during Ferragosto (midsummer holiday)
- Caciocavallo Silano PDO - Semi-hard cheese, with spun curd, produced with milk from different breeds of cows, including Podolica
Within the municipal territory of Rotondi, there is the installation of five works of contemporary art by as many artists referable to the events of Via Varco, nicknamed for this reason “Art Road”.
Rotondi borders four municipalities of Benevento (Airola, Bonea, Montesarchio and Paolisi), as well as Roccarainola (Naples).
The discovery of some tombs in elevated areas but not far from the current town of Rotondi confirms the presence of humans on its territory in ancient times, both at the time of the Samnites and of the Romans. The origins of the actual medieval village are uncertain: they could date back to 1200-1300 because, only in 1245, the first document appeared mentioning the Castrum Rotundorum of the De Rotundis family, of which a part of the tower and a renovated village, located in Campuri, are still visible.
It was, in fact, around this castle that the small town developed, originally consisting of the agglomeration of houses inhabited by peasants at the service of the feudal lords. Subsequently, Rotondi was controlled by various families, such as the Della Leonessa, Carafa and Caracciolo families.
With the abolition of feudalism during the French domination, Rotondi became an autonomous municipality and was incorporated into the Mandamento di Cervinara, together with San Martino Valle Caudina, within the Ultra Principality.
Rotondi is a place of the contemporary, where landscape, local history and traditions become a theatre to experience
view on the map
Via Luciano Vaccariello, 22, 83017 Rotondi AV, Italia
Via Varco, 83017 Rotondi AV, Italia
Also known as "Art Road", it is the street where, by some strange or lucky coincidence, four…
Via Annunziata, 13, 83017 Rotondi AV, Italia
A place very dear to the Rotondi community due to the statue of the Madonna of the Star housed…
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, 83017 Rotondi AV, Italia
The historical and cultural symbol of the Rotondi community, the Clock Tower rises above the…
Via Antonio Gramsci, 83017 Rotondi AV, Italia
Dating back to the 16th century, it stands 500 m above sea level and towers over the…
Did you like it? Leave a review
Your opinion is important! It will be visible after approval by the editorial staff.
To post a comment you must be an authenticated user. Log in with Social Login