Named after the Bishop of Mira, the religious building is a reconstruction from 1760, when it was demolished and rebuilt, while there is no certain information about the previous structure. The Church of San Nicola was probably built around the 12th century, close to the walls of the Castle, but there are no well-documented sources about it.
However, there is a crypt in the religious building, which was walled up in the 18th century, a characteristic feature of churches built between the 11th and 13th centuries, which is why it could be assumed that the structure was built in the Middle Ages. However, evidence of the Church's existence dates back to the first decades of the 16th century, when extensions and renovations were carried out.
Today, you cannot help but notice the magnificent stone portal enriching the austere façade of the Church of San Nicola: a valuable work of art that enhances the entire sacred place.
Chiesa di San Nicola di Gesualdo
Via San Nicola, 83040 Gesualdo AV, Italia