The Municipality of Torre Le Nocelle is located in the area of the Calore Valley. It's a village with 1,247 inhabitants, located 420 metres above sea level, at 24 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 10.04 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Mirabella Eclano, Montemiletto, Pietradefusi, Taurasi and Venticano. It's crossed by the Calore river.
The etymology of the name, probably dated 1676, is a compound of the Latin noun turris, "tower" intended as a defensive fortification, with a designation of place deriving from a phytonym. The inhabitants are called Torresi and Saint Cyriacus is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Sanctuary of San Ciriaco (Saint Cyriacus) - Religious building located close to the central square, with a detached bell tower: it dates back to the 18th century, but was restored after the 1980 earthquake
- Penna Palace - Historic building located within the historic centre of the town
- Other - Church of Madonna di Montevergine (Our Lady of Montevergine), Church of Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces), War Memorial
- Feast of Saint Cyriacus - Celebrations in honour of the patron saint which take place on the 16th of March and the 8th of August
- Pizza Chiena Festival - Food and wine event held between September and October, with stands of typical local products and music
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Laine e Pulieio - The most ancient and typical recipe of Torre Le Nocelle, consisting of fresh handmade pasta, with a herb with a strong flavour and ritual value
- Pizza Chiena - Crunchy in its bread dough, strictly cooked on the "ground" (on the bricks of the oven), with two types of cheeses, very fresh eggs and top quality capicollo
- Taurasi DOCG - Wine of great tradition, made thanks to a very ancient grape variety: well structured, elegant and austere but, at the same time, balanced and tannic; suitable for a very long ageing, also thanks to its structure, minerality, good alcohol content and fullness
- Irpinia Colline dell'Ufita PDO - Extra virgin olive oil deriving largely from the Ravece variety, characterized by a pleasant bitter and spicy taste
Torre Le Nocelle has the bell tower detached from the Sanctuary of San Ciriaco, the town's Mother Church: it was probably built about a decade after the construction of the religious building, on the foundations of the watchtower, from which the town took its name.
According to some testimonies, the origins of Torre Le Nocelle date back to Roman and pre-Roman times, as demonstrated by objects and ruins found in the locality of Viticeto, including the remains of a Roman aqueduct along the Calore river and three columns of cipollino marble from a pagan temple, located today in the Church of San Ciriaco.
In the medieval period, the town played the role of lookout for the nearby fiefs of Montefusco and Montemiletto, earning the nickname "Turrecella". In 1810, following the subversion of feudalism, which took place four years earlier at the behest of Gioacchino Murat, the Torre community, which for centuries had claimed its autonomy, came into conflict with Montemiletto for the possession of Starse and Bosco Faiano. Finally, he actively participated in the anti-Garibaldi riots of 1860.
A rich variety of gastronomic products, the winning combination of authenticity and quality, Torre Le Nocelle blends together with the passion, dedication, commitment and history of those who guarantee the quality of the raw materials
Torre Le Nocelle
Via Beniamino Rotondi, 50, 83030 Torre Le Nocelle AV, Italia