The Municipality of Montemiletto is located in the area of the Sabato Valley. It's a town with 5,288 inhabitants, located 600 metres above sea level, at 23 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 21.64 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Lapio, Montefalcione, Montefusco, Pietradefusi, Prata di Principato Ultra, Pratola Serra, Santa Paolina, Taurasi and Torre Le Nocelle.
The etymology of the name seems to come from Mons Militu (Mount of the Soldier), but some speculate that it may derive from the union of "monte" and malus, i.e. "apple tree". The inhabitants are called Montemilettesi and Saint Gaetano is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Della Leonessa Castle - Built in the late Renaissance period, it's among the best preserved castles in the province of Avellino. It's located in the upper part of the central square and it's one of the main cultural attractions of the town
- Porta della Terra (Gate of the Land) - Built in 1637, it represents the access road to the village and to the rear of the Castle
- Church of Santa Maria Maggiore (Saint Mary Major) - Built in the 15th century, it has a Romanesque façade, it houses numerous frescoes and eight burial grounds and it's characterized by the bell tower with four registers
- Church of Sant'Anna (Saint Anne) - Perfect example of Baroque art in Irpinia, its construction is linked to the noble Tocco family and inside it's embellished with numerous frescoes and marble works
- Former Convent of the Dominican Friars - Current town hall, it's characterized by its splendid cloister, dating back to the first half of the 18th century, and equipped with a cistern with travertine blocks
- Church of San Pietro e Paolo (Saint Peter and Saint Paul) - Inside it houses three altars with polychrome marble frontals and rich Baroque style decorations
- Fierimonte Palace - Built during the expansion of the city in the 18th century, it takes its name from the Fierimonte family, originally from Montemiletto, and it's now located along Corso Belvedere
- Paladino Palace - Ancient palace, on its façade there is a stone plaque dedicated to the magistrate Francesco Saverio Paladino
- Montaperto - Hamlet of the municipality with a 19th century urban structure, the small medieval castle, the Church of S. Audeno (Saint Audoin), the Baronial Palace of Filangieri and the Sarro Palace
- Other - Church of Santissimo Rosario (Holy Rosary), Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Chapel of the Cross, Chapel of Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces), Church of SS. Crocifisso (Most Holy Crucifix), Church of Sant'Audeno, Church of Maria SS della Pietà (Our Lady of Mercy), Church of S.Pietro, Acqua Calda fountain, Barno fountain, Cesterna fountain, Francia fountain, Sala fountain
- Siqua Fata Sinant - Historical re-enactment of the 1419 Assault on the Della Leonessa Castle, which takes place every year between the end of August and the beginning of September
- The 4 nights of the Brigands - Food and wine and music event held in August
- Sacred Heart of Jesus - Religious celebrations that take place in June
- Feast of Saint Gaetano - Religious celebrations in honour of the patron saint which take place on the 6th of August
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Taurasi DOCG - Wine of great tradition, made thanks to a very ancient grape variety: well structured, elegant and austere but, at the same time, balanced and tannic; suitable for a very long ageing, also thanks to its structure, minerality, good alcohol content and fullness
- Irpinia Colline dell'Ufita PDO - Extra virgin olive oil deriving largely from the Ravece variety, characterized by a pleasant bitter and spicy taste
The area of Montemiletto called "Torrecella" is very suggestive, a real terrace on the hills of Irpinia, from which you can admire a breathtaking view over the surrounding hills and valleys, up to the Sannio reliefs.
Located in a favourable area from the point of view of communications, Montemiletto was the site of ancient settlements, dating back to the Paleolithic and, later, it was populated by the Romans. The first nucleus of the current town was built towards the end of the Lombard domination (8th century AD), developed around the Della Leonessa Castle, located in a dominant position on the Irpinia hills. The inhabited centre, however, was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt by the Normans.
Later it became the property of the Della Leonessa family. Then the fief was assigned by Alfonso V of Aragon to the Da Tocco family (1448), whose members maintained possession over the centuries, until the abolition of feudalism in 1806.
If you don't fear heights, climbing on the tower is a must. The view from the top is breathtaking, you can observe the Irpinian hills and see how far the Irpinian horizon arrives
Via Roma, 2, 83038, Montemiletto AV, Italia