The Municipality of Sant'andrea Di Conza is located in the Upper Irpinia area. It's a village with 1,461 inhabitants, located 660 metres above sea level, at 72 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 7.05 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Conza della Campania and Pescopagano. It's crossed by the Ofanto river. 
The etymology of the name is inspired by the cult of the patron saint of the town, while the specification "di Conza" refers to its geographical position, near Conza della Campania. The inhabitants are called Santandreani and Saint Andrew the Apostle is their patron saint. 
 

PLACES OF INTEREST

  • Episcopal Palace - Architectural complex dating back to the 13th century, born as the bishop's palace and current Town Hall
  • Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione (Saint Mary of Consolation) - Old religious building abandoned and reduced to ruins, to which the Franciscan Convent of the Reformed Friars was annexed
  • Former Clemente-Malanga Furnace - Rare example of industrial archaeology, which was, in the past, a brick factory
  • Seminar - Episcopal building built in the 18th century, the result of a fine restoration
  • Church of San Michele (Saint Michael) - Neoclassical structure that houses a beautiful wooden choir and paintings by Miglionico
  • Mother Church of San Domenico (Saint Dominic) - It dates back to the 18th century with a precious wooden statue of Blessed Stefano Seno
  • Arco della Terra (Arch of the Land) - Entrance portal to the village, dated 1753
  • Fountain - Located in Piazza Umberto I, it's dedicated to King Umberto I of Savoy
  • Water mill - Structure dating back to the 18th century
  • Historic centre - Full of narrow streets and well-kept medieval portals    


EVENTS

  • Procession of the Mysteries - Recurrence of the death of Jesus during the Holy Week
  • Feast of Our Lady Crowned - Religious festival that takes place on the last Saturday of April
  • Maggiaiole Ritual - Traditional ceremony held on the last Saturday of May
  • Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel - Religious celebrations, scheduled for July
  • Feast of Saint Andrew and Saint Emygdius - Religious holidays, scheduled for August
  • Saint Anthony Fire Festival - Religious event that takes place in January and is accompanied by the lighting of bonfires    


TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS

  • Struffoli Santandreani - Typical struffoli (honey balls) in the Sant'Andrea variant
  • Chestnut Calzoncelli - Desserts similar to small ravioli, filled with chestnut cream
  • Caciocavallo Silano PDO - Semi-hard cheese, with spun curd, produced with milk from different breeds of cows, including Podolica
  • Caciocavallo irpino di grotta PAT - Spun curd cheese, produced with milk from small and medium-sized farms, mainly from brown cattle, traditionally aged in caves     


FUN FACTS

During the "Maggiaiole Ritual", typical of Sant'Andrea di Conza, the girls of the community go to the Co-Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (Saint Mary of the Assumption) in Conza della Campania to ask the Virgin Mary to find a good boyfriend. 
In Sant'Andrea Di Conza seven furnaces have existed for the production of bread. 
 

HISTORICAL NOTES

The origins of Sant'Andrea di Conza are controversial. According to some sources, the village arose after the earthquake of 990 and the subsequent malaria epidemic, when groups of farmers settled around the Church of Sant'Andrea, located between Conza and Pescopagano. According to another hypothesis, the first settlement was born with the arrival of the Bulgarians in Irpinia, called by the Lombards to repopulate the inland areas of Southern Italy, which had remained deserted due to the conflict against the Byzantines. 
Surely, Sant'Andrea di Conza was mentioned, for the first time, in a deed of donation of 1161, with which the Norman count Gionata of Conza and Carinola undertook to sell the Church of Sant'Andrea to the Church of Santa Maria dell'Episcopato of Conza.  
From that moment on the village belonged to the Archbishop's authority until the abolition of feudalism in 1806. During this very long period, it was administered by numerous families: Del Balzo, Gesualdo, Ludovisi and Mirelli.

 

 In Sant'Andrea di Conza you can discover workshops, associations, social projects, characters capable of embodying that change that is the basis of the paradigm of responsible travel 
 
Foto Gallery
Distretto di riferimeno
Distretto:
DISTRETTO 20
Indirizzo
Location:
Largo Castello, 1, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia
Go to the map view on the map
Website
Website:
Comune
Numero di telefono
Phone:
0827 35010
Map
Poligono GEO

Sant'Andrea di Conza

Largo Castello, 1, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

Featured places

Indirizzo Via Monastero, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

Via Monastero, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

A convent complex located in the highest part of the town, of which few ruins remain

Indirizzo Via Monacacchio, 28, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

Via Monacacchio, 28, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

In operation for over half a century, it is a symbol of the community and a key site of a…

Indirizzo Largo Castello, 1, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

Largo Castello, 1, 83053 Sant'Andrea di Conza AV, Italia

Building dating from the 13th century, which became the bishop’s seat. The historic three-…

Did you like it? Leave a review

Your opinion is important! It will be visible after approval by the editorial staff.

To post a comment you must be an authenticated user. Log in with Social Login

Logo Sistema Irpinia
Logo Provincia Avellino

Progetto finanziato e realizzato con fondi della Provincia di Avellino

Contatti

Indirizzo sede legale
Ufficio Infopoint
Piazza Libertá 1 (Palazzo Caracciolo), 83100 – Avellino
C.F. 80000190647

Seguici

Facebook Instagram YouTube
Top