The Municipality of San Michele di Serino is located within the area of the Sabato Valley. It's a town with 2,484 inhabitants, located 364 metres above sea level, at 9 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 4.47 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Aiello del Sabato, Cesinali, Santa Lucia di Serino, Santo Stefano del Sole and Serino.
The etymology of the name is a clear reference to the town’s patron saint, while the specific “Serino” refers to its geographical proximity to one of the neighbouring municipalities. The inhabitants are called Sammichelesi and Saint Michael the Archangel is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Mariconda Palace - Aristocratic building of the 19th century, of which today only the façade remains
- Church of San Michele Arcangelo (Saint Michael the Archangel) - Parish church, entirely rebuilt and inaugurated in 1993
- Church of the Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces) - Church located in the locality of the same name
- Ruins of the Castle - Remains of an ancient fortress, located on the hill of Our Lady of Graces
- Murals - Works of street art created during the St.Art project, among which we mention, in particular, the Black Madonna by Omer UniaTdk and D. Egon
- Potato Festival - Food and wine festival that takes place between the end of August and the beginning of September
- Feast of Saint Michael the Archangel - Celebrations in honour of the patron saint, held in September
- Sammichelese Carnival - Parade of carnival groups during the days leading up to Shrove Tuesday
- Cycling through Our Roads - Cycling excursion day, held in July
- Gathering of Zampogna, Ciaramella and Popular Instruments - Festival of ancient songs organised by the association "Friends of the Rosamarina", takes place in September and boasts attendance from all over Italy
- Rosamarina Pasquale - Ancient rite that consists in delivering to all families, the week before Easter, a pine branch with oranges and lemons and the effigy of the patron saint
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Serino Chestnut PGI - Among the best varieties of chestnuts in Italy, as well as the most exported to international markets
- Potato - One of the most profitable products of the territory of San Michele, used as a side dish for various types of typical dishes
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines of Italy and the international market
- Melannurca Campana PGI - The “Queen of Apples”, with its characteristic aroma and very fine scent
In the 16th century, San Michele constituted, with the nearby territories of Santa Lucia and Serino, the so-called “State of Serino”, characterised by a very extensive interregional trade and a concentration of exemplary production activities in the South of the time.
From San Michele di Serino, in July 1820, the insurrectional movements of the Carboneria Serinese, led by Lorenzo De Conciliis (1776-1866), started.
The town of San Michele di Serino is linked to the figure of Raffaele Perrottelli (1889-1915), hero of the First World War, awarded the Gold Medal for Military Valour, to whom a square was named.
The first settlements in San Michele di Serino probably date back to the time of the Samnites. Subsequently, with the advent of the Romans, much of the Sabato Valley was incorporated into the Abellinum colony.
The document in which San Michele di Serino is mentioned for the first time is dated 4 November 1275, although some traces of the current residential nucleus date back to 700 AD, identifiable in a pre-existing church, known as the Church of Sant’Angelo ad Peregrinos.
Throughout its history, the Sammichelese community has been devastated by two serious events: the plague epidemic of 1656 and the earthquake of 1732. Even the most recent earthquake of 23 November 1980 brought with it catastrophic consequences but, even from that tragedy, the local population managed to start again with strength and pride.
For those looking for a peaceful atmosphere, San Michele di Serino is a land of undisputed humanity and wounds to heal, with a heritage as immense as it is varied, sharing itself with indolent sweetness
San Michele di Serino
Via Roma, 1, 83020 San Michele di Serino AV, Italia