The Municipality of Sorbo Serpico lies in the area of the Sabato Valley. It is a village of 570 inhabitants, located 480 metres above sea level and 10 km away from Avellino. The territory extends for 8.1 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Atripalda, Salza Irpina, San Potito Ultra, Santo Stefano del Sole and Volturara Irpina.
The etymology of the name comes from the sorb, a fruit tree from which sorbole can be obtained, while "Serpico" could come from the Latin name Serpicus, or from serpeus, "snake", referring to the presence of a place of worship dedicated to Serapis. The inhabitants are called Sorbesi and Saint Martin of Tours is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- Brancaccio Palace - Baronial building dating back to the early 17th century, commissioned by Don Nicola Maria Brancaccio, Prince of Ruffano
- Church of the SS. Nomi di Gesù e Maria (Holy Names of Jesus and Mary) - Also known as the "Church of Saint Mary of the Snow" houses a Baroque wooden altar by Fanzago and frescoes by Solimena
- Chapel of the Annunciation - Next to Brancaccio Palace, recently restored
- Old Bell Tower - Located near the Mother Church has recently been restored and returned to the community
- Titomanlio Palace - With an internal courtyard and a beautiful garden, located at the back of the structure
- Saliceto and Titomanlio Springs - sources of drinking water that once fed Lake Saliceto
- Chapel of the Madonna della Neve (Our Lady of the Snow) - Small religious building, dedicated to the co-patron saint of Sorbo Serpico and located on a hill facing the entire village
- Archaeological Park of Castel Serpico - Preserves the ruins of the Castle of Serpico, situated along a path through chestnut woods
- Coccetella Festival - Food and wine event dedicated to traditional pasta, handmade in the village, held in July
- Chestnut and Wine Festival - Food and wine event in autumn, often coinciding with the patron saint's day in honour of Saint Martin
- Feast of Saint Mary of the Snow - Religious celebrations in honour of the co-patron saint of Sorbo Serpico, held in August
TRADITIONAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Coccetelle al ragù - A typical Sorbese first course, made with handmade pasta and meat sauce
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines in Italy and on the international market
- Serino Chestnut PGI - One of the best chestnut varieties in Italy and the most widely exported on international markets
- Caciocavallo Silano PDO - Semi-hard cheese, with spun curd, produced from the milk of different breeds of cows, including Podolica
First known as Castel Serpico and later as Serpico, the Municipality of Sorbo Serpico assumed its present name in 1862.
The first settlement in the area of Sorbo Serpico may date back to Roman times when some settlers settled on the slopes of Mount Serpico to exploit its considerable water resources.
In the Lombard period, around the 9th century, the village of Castrum Serpici was built, although the term "Castel Serpico" appeared for the first time in a document dated 1146, two centuries later. Later, the actual village developed under the simple name of Serpico and gathered around the castle.
Due to the plague of 1656, which decimated the population, the survivors decided to abandon the old town and settle in the area where the present village stands. The feudal lords included the Gesualdo, the Galeota, the Della Marra and, above all, the Brancaccio families, who administered Serpico until feudalism was abolished in 1806.
Strolling among the rows of Fiano DOCG vines, marvelling at the chromatic suggestions that explode in September, the world of good drinking in Sorbo Serpico is all to be savoured
Via Vincenzo Pennetti, 2, 83050 Sorbo Serpico AV, Italia