The Municipality of Manocalzati is located in the area of the Sabato Valley. It's a town with 3,198 inhabitants, located 450 metres above sea level, at 11 km from Avellino. The territory extends for 8.75 sq km and the adjoining municipalities are: Atripalda, Avellino, Candida, Montefredane, Pratola Serra and San Potito Ultra. It's crossed by the Sabato river.
The etymology of the name comes from the Latin “Manus Calceati”, that is "handful or troops of shod men", or it is composed of "male" and "calvati", that is "luxuriant land". The inhabitants are called Manocalzatesi and Saint Mark is their patron saint.
PLACES OF INTEREST
- San Barbato Castle - Built by the Lombards, it dominates the valley below from the top of the spur and it's connected with the village with the same name which, up to the second half of the 19th century, had the role of autonomous municipality
- Transverse Flute museum - Collection of music instruments, curated by the association "Igor Stravinsky". It's a reference point, both nationally and internationally, for exhibitions dedicated to aerophones
- Church of San Marco Evangelista (Saint Mark the Evangelist) - Church of uncertain origins, it stands out for its façade, with a beautiful stone portal, and for its bell tower
- Church of Sant'Anna (Saint Anne) - Church located in the medieval village of San Barbato, near the Lombard Castle
- Stone cross - Dating back to 1733, a Latin inscription is engraved on this monument
- Churches - Church of the Immacolata (Immaculate Conception), Church of S. Maria del Carmine (Saint Mary of Mount Carmel), Church of S.Antonio (Saint Anthony)
- Assettati addo vuo' - Very popular food and wine and musical event that has taken place in July since 2013
- Feast of Saint Barbatus - Religious celebrations scheduled for February
- Feast of Saint Mark - Religious celebrations in honour of the patron saint, scheduled for April
- Feast of Saint Anthony of Padua - Religious celebrations, scheduled for June
TYPICAL FOOD AND PRODUCTS
- Fiano di Avellino DOCG - One of the finest white wines in Italy and on the international market
Manocalzati has a twinning relationship with the French municipality of Sainte-Féréole, located in the Corrèze department, in the New Aquitaine region.
Already inhabited in prehistoric times, Manocalzati has preserved numerous archaeological finds dating back to the Iron Age. The first settlement, formed around a castle, dates back to the Lombard period.
The feud belonged to the counts of Avellino from 1127 then it passed over the centuries to other families, such as the Salza, the Gambacorta, the Grillo and the Poderico. It was annexed to the nearby barony of Candida and it followed its fate for about three centuries. It became property of the Tocco family in the 17th century and it remained under its possession until the abolition of feudalism in the Kingdom of Naples 1806.
Moreover, the territory of Manocalzati was the scene, in 1503, of the clashes between the Angevin and Aragonese troops for the dominance of the Kingdom of Naples.
Manocalzati represents simplicity and naturalness of hospitality, but with an imposing and majestic soul like its castle
Via G. Dorso, 1, 83030 Manocalzati AV, Italia